|Indorow Louisville Program coming to The Training StudioWe are very excited to become part of Louisville’s first interactive indoor rowing gym. Using state of the art equipment and the best rowers on the market (Concept 2), IndoRow Louisville will offer a very different type of fitness experience. Members will be able to race/compete against each other using RowPro software. Members also have the ability to race as a team against other teams using the online race format.Indorow Louisville sessions begin 10/29 and are held Monday – Friday @ 6:30 pm, Monday & Thursday mornings @ 7:15am and Saturday mornings @ 10:15am.Membership to Indorow Louisville is $30/month for existing TS members and $60/ month for non-members. Walk-in workouts are available for $15/session.Membership is limited and sold on a first-come, first-serve basis. Contact Coach Jake to secure your spot before they are all gone. Enjoy this issue of GETFIT and please do not hesitate to contact any of us here at The Training Studio with any health, fitness or nutrition questions or concerns.Dale Benedict – Editor, GETFIT
Get More Out of Exercise Time
How effective is your exercise time? Do you workout enthusiastically, feeling the burn with a smile, pushing yourself to the limit? Or would you describe your exercise time more like an even trot? Coasting along, breaking a respectable sweat, doing the same old thing.
Since you take the time to exercise and desire to have your body change into a slimmer, more toned version of yourself, then use the following tips to get more out of your exercise time.
- Focus your mental energy. It sounds simple, but often isn’t. If you’re lifting weights, focus on that specific muscle group. Researchers saw a significant increase in muscle activity when people focused on what they were doing, compared to thinking about unrelated topics.
- Have an audience. Researchers saw a significant increase in strength and endurance in people who had an audience, compared to those training on their own.
- Get a caffeine boost. Caffeine has been shown to help burn fat and increase your endurance. The most effective amount seems to be around 300mg one hour prior to working out. Of course check with your doctor first.
- Pump up the volume. Listen to upbeat music while you exercise. Researchers found that personal music motivated weightlifters to complete two more repetitions on average than those who were not listening to music.
- Keep things fresh. Alter your routine often. This will help you to avoid plateaus and will continue to challenge your body. Try new exercises, new intensities and new environments.
- Stay nourished and hydrated. Pay attention to your food and your hydration levels. You’d be amazed how much being dehydrated can affect your performance even away from the gym.
- Find your magic time. Work out when your body is at its best. If you’re not a morning person, do not force the issue on your body.
- Wear clothes that you love. Not only will you be happy to put them on and show them off, but you will be able to focus completely on the task at hand, rather than stressing that your pants will split whenever you squat.
- Make sure the shoe fits. Can you imagine a tap dancer performing without tap shoes? Your shoes are just as important! With correctly fitted shoes for your workout or sport, you’ll keep your feet, ankles, knees, and back protected and healthy.
- Use a professional. If you don’t already, have us design your workouts. This will ensure that you’re being challenged and seeing results.
Don’t know where to start when it comes to exercise? That’s where we come in. It’s our passion to make exercise a regular and enjoyable part of your life. We’d like to see you enjoy all of the healthy rewards of being fit.
Call (893-4024) or email (getinshape) us today and we will get you started on the exercise program that is right for you.
Baked Catfish and Mint Cabbage Salad
Catfish is a wonderful source of low fat protein. Lots of recipes call for frying catfish, but baking turns it into a low calorie, high protein meal. The generous seasoning of the catfish lends to a rich flavor that is complimented perfectly by the light minty salad. Servings: 4
Here’s what you need…
For the Catfish:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro, washed and stems trimmed
- 4 catfish fillets
- curry powder
- sweet paprika
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a glass baking pan, drizzle the olive oil and scatter the cilantro over the bottom of the pan.
- Generously season both sides of each fillet with curry, salt and sweet paprika. Place the fillets evenly across the bottom of the pan, on top of the cilantro.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and finely minced garlic. Pour over the tops of the fillets.
- Cover the pan with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
For the Salad:
- 1 head green, organic cabbage, shredded
- 1/8 cup crushed, dry mint leaves
- 1/8 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- dash of salt
- Wash the shredded cabbage and place in a medium sized bowl. Sprinkle with the dried mint, mix well.
- In a small bowl combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over the cabbage and mix well.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 221 calories, 8g fat, 102mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, and 26g protein
Motivate your friends, family and co-workers! Use the “refer a friend” link below to forward this newsletter and subscribe your friends.
Forward This Newsletter – Refer a Friend
|Refer a Friend – Click HereFollow UsFall Schedule of Events!Fall is an exciting time for racing. There are an endless supply of events coming up very soon. Everything from cycling to running, to mud racing, overnight running and even cyclocross. So what are you waiting for? Take advantage of this opportunity by participating or volunteering to help. Here is a list of some of these activities that we plan to attend. Click the links below for more info.
Elite Massage 50% OFF
Elite Massage is now located inside the River Road Training Studio facility.
They specialize in sport performance massage and offer trigger point therapy, myofacial release, deep tissue massage, Swedish massage, kinesotaping/rock tape, and instrument assisted soft tissue mobilization.
Elite Massage takes an evidence based approach to treating its clients.
Please call (558-5220) for more information or to set up an appointment.
Check it out!
The Power of a Goal
Do you have a goal for each workout?
To get the most out of your exercise time, make each session goal-oriented.
Decide how many miles you’ll run, how many reps you’ll do or how much you’ll increase the intensity before your workout begins. Then achieve it.
Set clear goals, write them down, and keep a record of your workouts. There’s nothing quite like being able to read exactly where you want to be, where you currently are, and where you’ve come from.