Train Smart with Fitness Walking
Walking is the #1 activity in America*. It can boost your energy, maintain your weight and even reduce stress. This low-impact activity has high fitness benefits. So grab a walking buddy and get started with the tips below.
• Be sure to warm up, cool down and stretch – this is key to maintaining muscle flexibility in your back and lower legs.
• To increase your stride rate, bend your elbows at about 90 degrees. This allows you to swing your arms faster, which then leads to quicker steps.
• Monitor your heart rate to ensure you’re in your target zone. We recommend the FT7 training computer. It has unique Smart Coaching features such as EnergyPointer and Smart Calories to help you reach your goals.
• Prevent injury with good posture. Walking “tall” with relaxed shoulders is best.
• Add variety to stay on track with your routine. Try walking uphill, off-road or in a mall (including up and down stairs) to help you stick with it.
Discover Smart Coaching
*Source: Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association 2012 Tracking the Fitness Movement Report